Creating Healthy Habits in the Workplace
Out of the top 5 New Year's resolutions, 3 of them are health related. Trying to keep those resolutions in the office is difficult. Here are some easy tips and tricks to be healthier in the workplace in 2020.
1. Create Healthy Posture
A poor working environment and incorrect working posture can have severe consequences for your health. According to the American Chiropractic Association, back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work. One-half of all working Americans admit to having back pain symptoms each year and it accounts for more than 264 million lost work days a year.
How to correct sitting posture:
- Keep your feet on the floor or on a footrest, if they don't reach the floor.
- Don't cross your legs. Your ankles should be in front of your knees.
- Keep a small gap between the back of your knees and the front of your seat.
- Your knees should be at or below the level of your hips.
- Adjust the backrest of your chair to support your low- and mid-back or use a back support.
- Relax your shoulders and keep your forearms parallel to the ground.
- Avoid sitting in the same position for long periods of time.
2. Reduce Stress with Plants
According to a study published in the Journal of Physiological Anthropology, active interaction with indoor plants can reduce stress both physically and emotionally.
Other benefits of our potted friends:
- They improve air quality.
- They are a natural humidifier.
- They can enhance your cognitive skills.
- They are natural healers.
So be sure to keep some greenery on your desk and around the office!
The first thought when dealing with common ailments like tiredness,
headaches, weight gain, and blood pressure is not on hydration, however,
not drinking enough water is often the culprit behind some of these. The Institute of Medicine says that we should be drinking 10 cups of water per day to stay hydrated, and up to 75% of us don't. A recent study showed that $2.5 billion dollars is lost each year in productivity due to these pesky effects of not hydrating.
Tips to make sure you're getting enough water:
- Carry a water bottle
- Eat more water-containing foods
- Set a hydration challenge
- Reduce coffee and tea intake
Want more tips? Check out Inc's 25 ways to make your life healthier in the office.